The City of Albuquerque is responsible for administering and implementing the Comprehensive City Zoning Code.
Zoning Code – Full Document
The official version of the Zoning Code can be accessed below. The document can be downloaded in its entirety (note: large file), viewed on the American Legal website, or the sections can be downloaded individually.
- This is a link to American Legal website, who compiles the text of the City of Albuquerque’s Code of Ordinances, including the Zoning Code. This text may not reflect recent amendments to the Zoning Code approved by City Council.
Zoning Code – Individual Sections
ARTICLE 16: ZONING CODE
Part 1: General Provisions
Part 2: Zoning Districts
Part 3: General Regulations
14-16-3-14 Air quality impact regulations (Repealed)
Part 4: Administration and Enforcement
Recent Text Amendments to the Zoning Code
The full legislative record and text of the amendment can be found by searching for the council bill number at www.cabq.legistar.com/legislation.
Amendments Approved in 2014
The City Council approved the following Zoning Code Text Amendments in 2014:
- 13EPC-40153 (Council Bill O-13-63) – This amendment revises the Appeal Section, 14-16-4-4 of the Zoning Code to remove the exception that appeals of zone map amendments (zone changes) cannot be heard by the Land Use Hearing Officer (LUHO) prior to being heard by the City Council. The proposed text amendment creates consistency in the appeal process for all cases heard by the EPC. Adopted April 21, 2014.
- Council Bill O-13-57, 13EPC-40120 – This amendment revises the Variance Criteria presented in §14-16-4-2(C)(2) of the Zoning Code to be more consistent with the State’s statue. Adopted January 6, 2014.
- Council Bill O-13-62, 13EPC-40133 – These amendments allow and regulate permeable surfacing or permeable pavement. The amended sections of the Zoning Code include §14-16-3-1(F) General Parking Regulations; §14-16-2-15(A) O-1 Office and Institution Zone; and §14-16-1-5(B) Definitions. Adopted January 6, 2014.
Amendments Approved in 2013
The City Council approved the following Zoning Code Text Amendments in 2013:
- Council Bill O-13-55, Enactment No. O-2013-013 – This amendment provides a waiver of certain fees for neon signs located in the Central Avenue Neon Sign Design Overlay Zone that comply with qualifying sign design criteria; it allows the display of certain historic signs that might otherwise be prohibited; and it provides a review regarding fee waivers. This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-3-5 General Sign Regulations. Adopted October 21, 2013.
- Council Bill O-13-49, Enactment No. O-2013-011 – This amendment allows for common areas associated with a Private Commons Development to be dedicated to the City if the City so desires. An amendment to reduce the required lot size for Private Commons Developments is also included. This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-1-5 Definitions and §14-16-3-16 Private Commons Development. Adopted June 24, 2013.
- Council Bill O-12-39, Enactment No. O-2013-004 – This amendment makes the launching and landing of hot air balloons a permissive use in all zoning districts. This amendment adds a new section to the zoning code §14-16-3-23 Zoning of Hot Air Balloons. Adopted March 4, 2013.
Amendments Approved in 2012
The City Council approved the following Zoning Code Text Amendments in 2012:
- Council Bill O-12-30, Enactment No. O-2012-038 – This amendment reorganizes and simplifies the nonconformance regulations and adds new definitions for “nonconforming” structure and “nonconforming use.” This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-1-5 Definitions and §14-16-3-4 Nonconformance Regulations. Adopted December 12, 2012.
- Council Bill O-12-25, Enactment No. O-2012-037 – This amendment clarifies that barbed tape, razor wire, barbed wire or similar materials are prohibited in and abutting residential zones. It amends the text of the residential zones to reiterate this, and amends the nonconformance regulations to require that fences or walls constructed with these materials must be removed within 6 months of enactment of this amendment. This amendments modifies the text of §14-16-3-19 General Wall Regulations, §14-16-2-6 R-1, §14-16-2-8 R-LT, §14-16-2-9 R-T, and §14-16-3-4 Non-Conformance Regulations. Adopted December 3, 2012.
- Council Bill O-11-1, Enactment No. O-2012-036 – This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-4-1 to change the procedure for amending the zone map; §14-16-4-3 regarding the process for adopting or amending sector development plans; §14-16-2-4 to remove reference to the state urban development statute; §14-16-3-2 to remove the authority to the zoning hearing examiner and allowing the use of a hearing officer to take testimony and make recommendations; and amending sections 14-16-2-5, 14-16-2-14 to make technical corrections and provide consistency with the procedure for adopting sector development plans. Adopted December 3, 2012.
- Council Bill O-11-66, Enactment No. O-2012-021 – This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-2-16 C-1 to add location, buffering, and site design regulations and setting a limitation on the number of fueling stations as a permissive use for the sale of gasoline, oil, and liquefied petroleum gas. Adopted May 21, 2012.
- Council Bill O-11-78, Enactment No. O-2012-012 – This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-3-5, dealing with temporary subdivision signs, changing the allowances for identification signs. Adopted April 2, 2012.
- Council Bill O-11-64, Enactment No. O-2012-004 – This amendment modifies the provisions of §14-16-2-16 C-1 and §14-16-2-17 C-2 to allow and encourage residential dwelling units in appropriate locations in C-1 Neighborhood Commercial and C-2 Community Commercial Zones that are located adjacent to Transit Corridors or within Activity Centers, as designated by the Comprehensive Plan. Design Standards to residential development in these zones apply, as regulated by this amendment. Adopted February 6, 2012.
Amendments Approved in 2011
The City Council approved the following Zoning Code Text Amendments in 2011:
- Council Bill O-11-69, Enactment No. O-2011-31 - This amendment updates the regulation of electronic signs; adding restrictions to new off-premise electronic signs. This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-1-5 Definitions and §14-16-3-5 General Sign Regulations. Adopted October 17, 2011
- Council Bill O-11-45, Enactment No. O-2011-027 - This amendment clarifies that the only alcohol that can be sold permissively in a C-1 zone is beer and wine in accordance with the State requirements for a restaurant liquor license. This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-2-16 C-1 Neighborhood Commercial Zone. Adopted August 15, 2011.
- Council Bill O-11-39, Enactment No. O-2011-017 – This amendment specifies the regulation of temporary directional and identification signage for new subdivisions. This amendment modifies the text of §14-16-3-5 General Sign Regulations. Adopted June 6, 2011.
Previously Approved Amendments
The full legislative record and text of amendments to the Zoning Code can be found by searching by year at www.cabq.legistar.com/legislation.