Register Your Business & Registration Renewal
Want to start a business in Albuquerque? Download a Business Registration Application:
Invoices are sent out on the anniversary date of each business for renewal for the next business year. Payment must be received by the due date.
Need help registering your business with the City of Albuquerque? Let us know.
Call us: (505) 924-3890
Email us: [email protected]
How To: Get an Albuquerque Business License
To register your business with the City of Albuquerque, follow these four steps:
Step 1: Tax ID Number
Obtain a New Mexico State Gross Receipts Tax Identification Number.
To obtain a Tax Identification Number, contact:
New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department
5301 Central NE
Albuquerque, NM 87108 - View map
Step 2: Environmental Health
Contact the City of Albuquerque's Environmental Health Department if any of the following apply to your business:
- Involves handling, preparing, or serving food
- Has a swimming Pool
- Is a liquor store, bar, lounge, or convenience store selling liquor
- Involves the emission of regulated air pollutants -- including such examples as gas stations; dry cleaners; paint and body shops; emergency generators; boilers or other combustion equipment; or activities which generate significant dust and other particulates such as real property development and aggregate handling.
If you are uncertain whether your activity requires an air quality permit, please contact the City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department's Small Business Assistance Program at (505) 768-1972.
They can help you determine whether your business needs an air quality permit before beginning certain activities
The Environmental Health Department will inform you if City Health Ordinances apply to your business. They also will issue the clearance forms and determine inspection fees.
Step 3: City Registration
Contact the City Business Registration Section if your business involves any of the following:
- Lodging (hotel, model operations)
- Professional fund raising
- Business solicitations at private residences or on public streets or sidewalks
Call the Business Registration Section at (505) 924-3890.
Step 4: Submit Application
Submit a Business Registration Application, along with a check for $35 made payable to the "City of Albuquerque." Also include any Environmental Health clearance forms that were issued for your business.
Business Registration Receipt
Your business registration receipt will usually be mailed to you within two (2) weeks. Please do not call about your registration within the first two weeks. You will be notified promptly by mail if your application is incomplete, not approved or not paid in full.