Building Safety & Permits
What We Do
Building owners are required to maintain their buildings to ensure a safe environment for the citizens of Albuquerque. The Building Safety Division provides services that ensure that buildings within the City of Albuquerque are built and maintained to the correct building standards and codes.
How We Serve You
If you are planning a new construction, addition or remodeling project, you can apply for building permits at the Building Permit Office, located at 600 2nd NW. Hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The permits desk may be contacted by calling (505) 924-3969.
- View plan review comments
Online Building Safety Permits
Applying for a building or construction trade permit with the Building Safety Division is fast and easy. Our system allows you to submit applications, upload plans, review comments, make payments and track your applications through the approval process from your computer with no need to visit our offices. The online system allows you to apply for things such as new building permits, electrical permits, plumbing and mechanical permits, renovation permits, demolition permits and much more.
Basic steps for utilizing the online system for the Building Safety Division:
- If you are a first-time user of the system, you will need to obtain a unique ID number by either visiting our offices at 600 2nd NW or by calling (505) 924-3320 for building permits. If you are seeking a mechanical, electrical, or plumbing permit, you may call (505) 924-3320. For the first time using our online system, contractors are required to visit our building in person to provide credentials. All others may call or visit our offices.
- Once you have your unique ID number, access the Building Safety Permit System
- Register to use the online system (you will be required to supply an email address)
- Fill out all fields provided to you in the online system
- Upload required documents
- Pay applicable fees online
- Check the online system to track the progress of your application
To speed up the permit application process, the Planning Department has created the ePlan system. ePlan is an electronic plan review process available to developers, contractors, architects, homeowners and anyone else planning to apply for a building permit within Albuquerque.
- How to submit your ePlan
- ePlan System Application for first-time users
- ePlan User's Manual
- Log into the ePlan system
FasTrax is Albuquerque’s expedited plan review process available to those seeking a building permit. Builders can expect an average of a six-day turnaround time using the FasTrax system. Click here to learn more.
Unsure of how to proceed from here? See below for valuable resources to make the permit application process go smoothly and without delay. Below you’ll also find valuable information sources to assist in your building process.