The Animal Welfare Department understands that from time to time you may encounter difficulty in caring for your pet. The temporary inability to care for your pet's needs may cause you to think about surrendering your pet. Before you consider giving up your pet, please learn about options available to you that could aid you in keeping your pet.
Below you will find a list of organizations that may assist you with your pet's various needs, including spay-neuter services, pet food, and training.
Spay and Neuter Resources
City of Albuquerque, Animal Welfare Department
Visit the Animal Welfare department's spay and neuter information page or call 311.
Animal Humane New Mexico
- Spay or neuter services are offered to qualified low-income clients on a first-come-first-serve walk-in basis only; appointments are not needed or available. Clinic staff will verify income and/or public assistance.
- Costs for cats are $25 for males and $35 for females. Costs for dogs are $50 to $100 based on weight and gender.
- Spay or neuter clinic hours and information:
- Patient drop off: 8 - 8:30 a.m. Monday - Thursday
- Only a limited number of pets will be taken daily. We recommend that you arrive early.
- Proof of income and a picture ID are required at drop off.
- All sources of income must be provided for every member of the household.
- Your pet should be ready for pickup by 3 p.m. We will contact you if your pet is available sooner.
- Payment is due in full when you pick up your pet.
- Please withhold food from your pet after 10 p.m. the night before surgery; leave water available all night.
New Mexico Animal Friends
Offers help with trapping and surgeries for unowned street cats.
Best Friends Animal Society
Offers help with trapping and surgeries for unowned street cats
Alliance for Albuquerque Animals
Free spay or neuter services for Pit Bulls, Chows, and Rottweilers in the unincorporated areas of Bernalillo County.
Bernalillo Co. SNAP program
Reduced fees for low income families in the unincorporated areas of Bernalillo County, Maximum of 2 pets.
Pet Food Resources
The Storehouse Food Pantry
106 Broadway Blvd SE
Assistance with dog and cat food for those in need.
Animal Humane New Mexico
Behavior Hotline for common problems. Training classes also available at animalhumanenm.org.
- Andiamo Dog!
Lauren Ranghelli, KPACTP
- Be Positive!
Joyce Spinden, CPDT
- 4 Paws Down Academy Dog Training
Laurie Trobough, CPDT
- The Cat Diva
Pet-Friendly Travel Guide
Things to know when traveling with your pet.
Ponderosa Animal Clinic
5201 Ponderosa NE
Vetco Animal Clinics
413 Montano NE
8200 Menaul NE