Urban Beekeeping with Natural Topbar Hives
Workshop Topics & Dates
The beekeeping classes will be held on the following dates from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Albuquerque Open Space Visitor Center.
- April 21: Introduction to Beekeeping - This class will introduce students to beekeeping, help them to understand basic bee biology and hive architecture, and familiarize them with what being a beekeeper entails in terms of time commitment and the equipment required.
- May 12: Spring Hive Maintenance – This class covers the honeybee hive when it is in its growth and expansion stage. Students will learn the basics of hive propagation, swarming, queen development and what to expect from a healthy hive.
- June 30: Summer Hive Maintenance - In this class, students will learn how to harvest honey, look for and recognize signs of disease or queen weakness, how to make divides of full hives, and requeen hives that are failing.
- September 8: Fall Hive Maintenance - In this class, the hives will be evaluated for their preparedness for winter, winter hive maintenance techniques will be discussed and weak hives will be combined.
- October 6: Making Wax Products - This hands-on class will be spent making lip balm, salve and candles. Students will learn about how to melt and process their own beeswax and the many ways in which it can be utilized in arts and crafts.
The cost of the full workshop series is $275 or $60 per class on a drop-in basis.
Register for this series at www.fortheloveofbees.com.
Les Crowder has been a beekeeper for over thirty years, teaching beekeepingmuch of that time. Over time, and after a lot of personal research and experimentation, he developed his own design of topbar hive. Interestingly, he discovered that the angles forming the bottom of a hexagon were ideal to house hives. Les is the current President of the NM Beekeepers Association. Working with Les is an experience in learning to love and respect honeybees. Students will come away from his classes with a strong ethical commitment to being caretakers of these amazing insects.