The Open Space Explorer Series
A nature kit-making sessions for young explorers at the Open Space Visitor Center.
Registration is required.
Please note: as of July 30th there is a waiting list for this program.
Call (505) 897-8831 to register.
WHEN: Tuesdays from 10-11am, June 9th-August 11th
FREE, but Space is limited to 10 children per session.
Explore the Bosque this summer with a nature kit made by you! Stitch up a sketchbook from plant-fiber paper, mold a magnifying glass out of repurposed soda bottles, fashion a flower press out of boards and stray bolts! Drop in once on a Tuesday at 10 or better yet, attend the whole series. You’ll surprise your friends this fall with all the amazing outdoor experiences you’ve made this summer. Pack some provisions to enjoy with the birds on our patio and then take your project into the field to complete your do-it-yourself adventure! Guided nature kit crafting is planned with elementary children in mind and lasts about an hour. Sack lunch munching and Bosque trail crunching are under each family’s supervision and initiative.
The Open Space Explorer Series begins on Tuesday, June 9th with:
• June 9th - Bug Box fabrication, followed by:
• June 16th - Magnifying glass creation
• June 23rd - Hand-made paper making
• June 30th - Flower press construction
• July 7th – Sketchbook and natural paintbrushes
• July 14th - Compass assemblage and mini treasure hunting
• July 21st – Handmade binoculars fabrication
• July 28th- Seed ball rolling
• August 4th – Bird feeder construction
• August 11th- Leaf and bark rubbing kit construction