Cosmic Carnival and Star Party
Where: 6500 Coors Blvd. NW between Montaño Rd. and Paseo del Norte at the end of Bosque Meadows Rd.
When: Saturday, November 5th, 1:00 – 9:00 pm
The Albuquerque Astronomical Society (TAAS) and the Open Space Visitor Center/City of Albuquerque host a day of science explorations of astronomical proportions! This event features presentations, exhibits, demonstrations, telescopes, a portable planetarium and finishes with a large star party on the back patio!
Cosmic Carnival: 1:00pm – 5:00 pm
- Interactive exhibits with Explora! Science Center, the New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science, the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, Sandia National Laboratories, New Mexico Gem and Mineral Club, CNM, the Rio Ranch Astronomical Society (RRAS), the Albuquerque Astronomical Society (TAAS), and the Albuquerque Rocket Society.
- Safe viewing of our nearest star, the Sun. And on the Back Patio: Telescope discovery and display.
- In the Kiva Room: Portable Planetarium Shows at 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:00pm, and 4:00pm. Limit 25 people per show. Free same day tickets available in the lobby.
Star Party: 6:00pm – 9:00 pm
The Albuquerque Astronomical Society and the Open Space Visitor continue this astronomically fun day with a Star Party.
Bring your Star Party toolkit - a sense of curiosity about our universe and a FLASHLIGHT for safe return to the parking lot after star gazing. A flashlight with both red and clear lenses is recommended.
- On the patio: Star and planet observations with telescopes from the Albuquerque Astronomical Society AND constellation tours of the heavens.
- 7:00pm and at 8:00pm in the Kiva Room: The autumn edition of the TAAS Fabulous 50 Program, presented by Dee W. Friesen, in which a beginner to astronomy will learn to locate 50 of the most prominent night sky objects, including stars, constellation and asterisms.
- Sales of unique arts and crafts at the Open Space Alliance Gift Shop from 6pm-8pm
The Open Space Visitor Center is an interpretive hub for the Open Space program, lands, and resources. Visitors enjoy educational exhibits, art displays, wildlife fields, a Traditions garden, Bosque trails, and a variety of talks, workshops, demonstrations and entertainment. The Open Space Visitor Center is located at 6500 Coors Blvd. NW between Montaño Rd. and Paseo del Norte at the end of Bosque Meadows Rd. The Center is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM and closed Mondays. Call 897-8831 for more information or visit www.cabq.gov/openspace.