Add to Calendar
Designed for beekeepers who would like to make a vocation out of natural topbar beekeeping.
Certification in Natural Topbar Beekeeping
NOTE: SOME CLASSES ARE FULL. Please contact Heather at [email protected] or call 575-587-2065 for class availability.
These classes are taken as a series and include detailed instruction regarding:
- Obtaining bees, understanding genetic variance in honeybees
- Bee biology
- Hive design, making hives
- Spring comb management, swarm suppression
- Summer comb management, making divides
- Raising queens
- Harvesting honey
- Marketing honey and other hive products
- Refining wax, making value added products such as salves, candles and soap
- Landscape management for bees
- Winter management
- Understanding disease
- Beekeeping as a community service, removing swarms and hives
- Pollination contracts
- April 2 - Introduction to Beekeeping
- April 30 - Spring Hive Maintenance
- May 28 - Catching Swarms and Bee Removals
- June 18 - Summer Hive Maintenance
- July 23 - Queen Raising
- August 13 - Fall Hive Maintenance
- Sept 17 - Wax Products
Cost of the Certification Course - $675 with a non-refundable deposit of $200 due by April 1st. This class may also be taken on a drop-in basis for $100 per class.
Students who complete all of the classes will receive a certification diploma.