Bill Pentler and Stephen Ryan named as City Employees of the Week
Congratulations to Bill Pentler and Stephen Ryan from the Parks and Recreation Open Space Division for being named employees of the week! Thank you for your service and effort to make our community a better place to live.
The pair were honored at City Hall today (April 5, 2013) by Mayor Berry and Parks and Recreation staff; the two men were praised for their efforts including:
- Each winter the Open Space division of Parks and Recreation conducts several planting projects to regenerate the Bosque by planning cottonwoods and willows.
- Under tough, outdoor conditions the duo has worked with 18 school groups and community organizations, involving 400 school children and 100 adults to plant more than 400 trees and another 100 shrubs.
- To improve the habitat in the Bosque, William and Stephen have worked in conjunction with the State inmate program to coordinate the gather of more than 5,000 willow whips which have been planted in the restoration site known as “La Orilla” (the riverbank in Spanish).
- The La Orilla project site has been completely transformed due to the high quality, hard work, and active engagement of community participation- all fostered by these two employees.
- This spring and summer the new plantings will begin to leaf out- showcasing the success of William and Stephens’ environmental stewardship.