"A Senior I Know" Essay Contest
Tell Us About a Senior
Share your story about a senior today!
Questions? Contact us:
As part of the Older Americans' Month celebration during May, the City of Albuquerque Department of Senior Affairs and Albuquerque Public Schools are conducting the 33nd annual essay contest for students in 1st through 5th grades.
The topic of the essay is "A Senior I Know."
Submission deadline is March 6th, 2015
The purpose of this contest is to promote positive relationships between elementary school students and seniors.
We hope you will encourage your teachers and students to participate in this intergenerational activity.
A panel of judges will select the 30 city winners from public schools, private schools, and home schooled students in the APS district. Selected winning essays will be on display throughout the city and will also be published in a booklet.
Each winning author will receive a gift from Wells Fargo Bank, a pass to Cliff’s Amusement Park, and a Certificate of Award from Mayor Richard J. Berry and Interim-Superintendent Brad Winters.
Teachers and principals of the winning students will also be recognized.
- All essays must be the original work of the student.
- Essays may be up to 300 words in length.
- Essays written in a foreign language must also submit a translated English copy.
- Essays must be written on the A Senior I Know Essay Contest Form and be submitted through the child's school.
- Entries must include the following information: Name, Grade, Age, Boy or Girl, Teacher, School, and Title of Essay ("A Senior I Know" is the Subject)
- The message about the senior should be clear.
- The impact of the message should be appealing.
- The contest rules must be followed.
- The essay should demonstrate skills appropriate for the grade level.
Preliminary judging will be the responsibility of each school. Each grade level is to be judged separately.
Suggestions for judges at each school include: PTA members, UNM students, seniors, and non-participating teachers and students. Essays from one boy and one girl in each grade will be selected at each school.