Mayor Chávez is happy to announce the expansion of the city’s Youth Academies
The Youth Academies are designed for students in middle and high school. Students will participate for four days in city departments and will experience city government on a first hand basis.
Please call 311 to register your student for the Academies. Space is limited for this popular service and students will be chosen based on a lottery system. It is offered free of charge.
The Department Youth Academies are:
- Police Department - students will have a choice between the Junior Police Academy and the CSI Academy. The Junior Academy is held at the Police Academy and educates students what police officers go through while in the academy and when they graduate. CSI Cadets will get hands on experience collecting and interpreting evidence.
- Fire Department - where students will learn how to repel and use the fire hose. They will study fire behavior and safety codes.
- Environmental Health and Solid Waste departments - will provide an invaluable opportunity to students to learn the basic fundamentals about: Solar Energy: Photovoltaic & Solar Thermal, wind Power, Solar water heating, Solar water pumping, Biomass technology, Fuel Cell technology, Renewable Fuels, and recycling.
- Parks and Recreation - student will help maintain hiking trails, see the silvery-minnow refugium and learn about ecosystems.
- Cultural Services - including the zoo, aquarium and museums. Students will help feed animals, staff some aquarium tanks and care for plants and pull some weeds.
Please call 311 to register.