Bus Rapid Transit Public Meetings
Upcoming Public Meetings for the Proposed Central Avenue Bus Rapid Transit Project
As part of the redevelopment of historic Route 66 through Albuquerque, the City of Albuquerque is considering Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Service along Central Avenue. More frequent and timely transit service within this corridor will increase the people-carrying capacity of Central Avenue and allow for the development of a “calmer” transportation environment.
Cities throughout the United States are implementing BRT service as a key means of enhancing their respective transportation network and as a component of urban corridor redevelopment plans; because BRT is more versatile in service delivery and in cost. A BRT system provides more timely service than a regular bus line through the use of dedicated lanes, at least for a significant portion of the route, and strategically-located stations (not just stops) that provide:
1. Boarding platforms level with the floor of the bus
2. Off-bus fare collection enabling riders to purchase tickets outside the bus, reducing dwell time inside the bus.
3. A smart signal system, which allows buses to communicate with traffic signals, which reduces bus delays at traffic lights by allowing additional “green light time” for buses.
4. Intelligent information about arrivals and traffic
As the city is undertaking an Alternatives Analysis as the first step in determining the operational and financial feasibility of a BRT system along Central Avenue, ABQ RIDE needs your input. Starting November 20, ABQ RIDE has scheduled a series of six public meetings along the Central Avenue Corridor to get your ideas and opinions about the project.
Public Meeting Schedule
• Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Mesa Verde Community Center – 7900 Marquette NE, 87108
• Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Manzano Mesa Multi-Regional Center – 501 Elizabeth SE, 87123-2887
• Thursday, November 29, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Alamosa Community Center – 6900 Gonzales Rd SW, 87121
• Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Loma Linda Community Center - 1700 Yale SE 87106
• Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Old Main Library/Special Collections, Botts Hall – 423 Central NE (at Edith), 87102
• Thursday, December 13, 2012, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Albuquerque Museum of Art and History (Auditorium) – 2000 Mountain NW, 87104-1459
Be looking for ads in the Albuquerque Journal and other media with dates, locations and times of these and future meetings. We value your input. That’s why we hope to see you at one of these meetings; to help a growing city plan for a better future with a better system of rapid transit.