Information about the PMDP writing sample.
Preparing Your Writing Sample
You must submit a writing sample as part of your Pre-Management Development Program application. However, you may be unsure of how to develop a writing sample. The steps below will assist you in writing and formatting your sample.
What should I write about?
The main goal of the writing sample is to explain why you should be considered for the Pre-Management Development Program. It is similar to the first round in a job interview, but the pressure of meeting face to face and formulating quick responses to interview questions has been removed. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't take the writing sample seriously. Keep in mind that each department director may select up to three employees to submit for consideration to the Learning Council. Your application will compete against all other applications within your department for one of only three candidate positions. It is important that your writing sample, as well as the other pieces of your application, stand out from the others. In addition to explaining why you should be selected for the program, your writing sample should include:
- Your long-term career aspirations with the City of Albuquerque
- The greatest strength you can bring to a manager/supervisor position
- How you will benefit in becoming a manager/supervisor
- How the City of Albuquerque will benefit from your participation and successful completion of this program
How do I format my writing sample?
Formatting is important in developing your writing sample. Proper formatting conveys professionalism that can be applied to manager/supervisor positions. The steps below will assist you in developing a well-formatted writing sample.
- Write in 1st Person ("I believe I am qualified..." instead of "This candidate is qualified...")
- Write clear, brief statements that demonstrate your ability to communicate effectively using carefully chosen words to indicate your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Use simple, active verbs whenever possible.
- Make sure your essay is well-organized and presents clear examples, ideas, and convictions.
- Refrain from using highly technical language.
- Use concrete words to clarify your text.
- The body of the document should include a brief introduction, adequate paragraphs to provide evidence and details to the statements made in the introduction, and a concluding paragraph that summarizes the main points of the essay.
- Your writing sample should be 1-2 pages in length.
- Use Arial or Times New Roman, 12-point font.