Healthcare Information You Can Use
Choosing Wisely is an initiative of the ABIM Foundation.
The goal of Choosing Wisely is to encourage conversations between physicians and patients about the overuse of tests and procedures and support physician efforts to help patients make smart and effective care choices.
The City of Albuquerque is participating in the Choosing Wisely® campaign September 2015 through August 2016. It brings several passionate groups together to help physicians, patients and other health care stakeholders talk about the overuse of health care resources in the U.S. More than thirty national organizations representing medical specialists, as well as Consumer Reports and a number of consumer-focused organizations, are working with the ABIM Foundation to create a set of recommendations for physicians and patients to talk about together.
Choosing Wisely Articles
- Better Care at Lower Cost
- Caring For Others
- Choosing Wisely Consumer Reports Resources
- Four Things That Would Surprise You About Health Care
- Getting the Right Preventive Care
- More Equals Better? Not When It Comes to Your Health
- Primary Care - Our First Line of Defense
- Taking Drugs As Directed
- Three Common Health Care Treatments You May Not Need
- Three Reasons to Take a Notepad to Your Next Doctor Visit
- When to Say "Whoa" to Doctors
- Your Doctor and You - New Resources
Consumer Reports Health Tip Sheets
- Tip Sheet 1 - Doctor Patient Relationship
- Tip Sheet 2 - Communicating with your Doctor
- Tip Sheet 3 - Preventive Care
- Tip Sheet 4 - Asking Questions About Medical Tests
- Tip Sheet 5 - Asking Questions About Imaging Tests
- Tip Sheet 6 - Drugs 101 - Reduce Your Costs
- Tip Sheet 7 - Coping With Serious Illness
- Tip Sheet 8 - Living Life to the Fullest
Choosing Wisely Videos
- EKGs and Exercise Stress Tests
- How Do You Choose Wisely?
- Just Because We Can...
- More Medicine Is Not Always Better
- Talking With Your Doctor
- What Is the Right Amount of Care?
New Mexico Coalition For Healthcare Value is supported by the nonprofit HealthInsight. It brings together purchasers, employers, physicians, healthcare systems and hospitals, consumers and state leaders to create change in the healthcare system to benefit the people of New Mexico.
The following documents offer help to get good quality health care.
- Informed and involved
- Know what works
- Good quality health care
- Finding health information on the Internet
- A list of recommended websites
- Tips on what to do before your health care appointment
- Tips on what to do during your health care appointment
- Should I go to Urgent Care or the Emergency Room?
- Tips for following through on treatment
Presbyterian 24/7 Nurse Advice Line 1-866-221-9679
An organization that makes recommendations to the public and health care providers about preventive care and screenings.
Got a case of the "Mondays" every day of the week? If every day seems the same, that's a problem. You are not alone. One in 10 people will deal with depression at some time in their lives.