A humble craft transforms Albuquerque and the Southwest each Christmas Eve.
What are Luminarias?
Luminarias are brown paper bags containing votive candles for light and sand for weight. Every Christmas Eve, thousands of them line the streets of Albuquerque with their low, ethereal light.
Luminarias have been a New Mexican tradition for generations.
- Paper lunch bags
- Votive candles
- Utility lighter or fireplace match
To make luminarias:
- Fold down the top inch of the paper lunch bag to create a lip
- Add enough sand to hold the bag down
- Add a votive candle, standing it on the center of the sand
- Use a fireplace match or utility lighter to light it
Favorite Walking Neighborhoods
See the luminarias by foot.
These are some of the favorite places to take an evening stroll and see the lights.