Firefighters Honored for Record-Breaking Fundraising
For Immediate Release
- Erin Kinnard Thompson
- T.J. Wilham
June 4, 2010
Mayor Richard Berry along with members of the Albuquerque Area Firefighters Local 244 recognized AFD personnel whose fundraising efforts for this year resulted in the department's largest annual contribution to the Muscular Dystrophy Association in the amount of $75,000.
The firefighters honored are as follows:
- Captain Frank Soto – Captain Soto provided leadership and advocacy on behalf of the campaign. Captain Soto and his crew are consistently among the top performers for the past several years.
- Lieutenant Matt Painter – Lt. Painter is also a professional photographer and he donated use of his equipment and services to promote the campaign. He created a video which inspired participation department wide.
- Lieutenant Bernie Martinez – Through his enthusiastic promotion of the program, Lt. Martinez motivated and inspired members of his station to give generously.
- Lieutenant Bill Smith – Through his enthusiastic promotion of the program, Lt. Smith motivated and inspired members of his station to give generously.
- Lieutenant Dave Mowery II – Provided leadership and worked long hours to ensure that Station 3 remained the top station for the "Fill the Boot" campaign.
- Dr. Anthony Otero and his wife Marlo – Dr. Otero worked with Smith's corporate offices to secure a large donation and logistical assistance. His wife Marlo, who works for Smith's, was critical in this effort.
- Captain Ahren Griego – As he has done for many years, coordinated the overall fundraising effort in working with AFD, local businesses and the local MDA office. His work was critical to the record breaking success of this year's program.
- Firefighter 1st Class Billy Rogers – Firefighter Rogers was personally responsible for having collected more than half of the contributions on behalf of his company/station.
- Captain Darryl Longdon – Took every opportunity to be a constant champion for MDA to the AFD crews and personnel.
Captain Griego, Vice President of Local 244, spoke on their behalf. "This is a monumental accomplishment for the fire department and the International Association of Firefighters Local 244. The citizens showed their appreciation for the community in which they live in by being so generous. The citizens made this happen," said Captain Griego.
Mayor Berry praised the work of these and all the firefighters whose efforts contributed to the fundraising goals. "The amount of money raised by these firefighters for the ‘Fill the Boot' campaign is phenomenal and reflects their tremendous dedication MDA's cause," said Mayor Berry.