Albuquerque Fire Academy
The Mission of the Albuquerque Fire Academy is to provide and facilitate training opportunities to the firefighters, citizens of Albuquerque, and surrounding communities, that maximize preparedness for community emergency needs.
The goal is to ensure that all Department personnel maintain the core knowledge and practical skills needed to provide efficient, professional care and service to the citizens of Albuquerque.
The Academy also serves to assess and coordinate all new technical information that is disseminated to Department personnel. It tests new equipment and procedures, facilitates fire company and individual performance evaluations, oversees Safety, Technical Rescue, Hazardous Materials, and Wildland Training Programs.
The Cadet Training Program provides cadets with the knowledge skills and abilities necessary to serve as a firefighter and EMT. The Cadet Training Program exceeds NFPA requirements for Firefighter 1 and 2 certification.
What to Expect as a Cadet:
The 18 week Cadet Program following a Paramilitary Command Structure will consist of daily rigorous structured physical training and instruction.
Starting from day one and throughout the cadet program, the cadets will be expected to perform the following physical and academic requirements:
- Complete the 1.5 mile run in less than 12 minutes 10 seconds
- Complete the Combat Challenge in less than 6 minutes
- 20 push-ups
- 5 pull-ups
- 5 Dips
- Ability to maintain a GPA of 80% or above
What to Expect as a Probationary Firefighter:
- One Year Assignment to Field Units as a Probationary Firefighter
- Perform all Firefighting and Emergency Medical skills in a professional and efficient manner
- Follow all rules and policies set forth by the Albuquerque Fire Department
- Maintain a high level of proficiency in all Firefighting skills and physical fitness
- Maintain a high level of professionalism on and off duty
- Participate in quarterly progress inspections
- Attend monthly meetings with a Field Training Officer
- Successfully complete the 7 Month evaluation on firefighting skills and 1.5 mile run
- Successfully complete the Final 11 Month Evaluation
- Includes firefighting skills, written exam, 1.5 mile run, and exhibit exemplary overall performance to be removed from probationary status and promoted to Firefighter 1st Class.