The Community Recreation Division manages 24 Community Centers located throughout the city of Albuquerque. Besides the traditional recreational programs that take place at the centers, many new and innovative programs are now part of the services offered for children (from 6 through 15 years old), youth and adults at these facilities.
Programs for Registered Participants
Before and After School Programs
Before and/or After School Programs are available at most of our Community Centers, Therapeutic Recreation sites and various These programs provide planned, organized and supervised activities designed to meet the recreational needs of children that attend.
Community Center Summer Recreation
The Summer Recreation Program is offered for six to eight weeks, (June to July) every year to school age children and youth from 6 -15 years old at each City Community Center. Registration at each Center is required. Each center provides an assortment of programs and activities that meet community needs and promote community involvement in recreation, cultural activities, education, health and family life activities.
Playground Recreation Summer Program
The Playground Recreation Program offers summer recreation programs for children 6 through 11 years old at various elementary schools during the summer months.
Programs Open to the Public
The programs listed below are offered to the public and may be operated by the City of Albuquerque or a private agency/individual who is renting space at a community center. Some of the programs listed below may have fees to participate. Please contact your nearest community center to see if the program you are interested in is offered there.
- Summer Lunch Program -The Summer Food Services Program is a free meal program provided in City community centers, parks, elementary and middle schools, apartment complexes, public housing, churches and at non-profit organizations. The meal program is open to children and youth 1 through 18 years old.
- at various Community Centers.
- Arts & Crafts - includes quilting, ceramics, etc.
- Computer Classes/Lab at various Community Centers.
- Dance Classes at Heights Community Center and Taylor Ranch Community Center.
- Weight Rooms at various Community Centers.
- Table Tennis at various Community Centers.
- Ceramics (Adult & Youth) at various Community Centers.
- Teen Dances at Alamosa Community Center.
Additional Resources for Youth
- Coats for Kids available during the winter months at the Departments Health & Social Services Centers.
- Gang Prevention/ Youth Violence - Contact YDI Gang Intervention and Prevention program at (505)352-3437.
- Drug Abuse Program/Prevention
- Homework Help - Contact (505)767-5800
- GED Classes - Contact YDI at (505)242-7306
- Childcare Services at various Child Development Centers - Offers Early Head Start, Child Development and Pre-K Programs.