Translate Our Site

Out-of-State Vehicles and Vehicles Unavailable for Inspection

Information about registering an out-of-state vehicle in Albuquerque or obtaining time extensions for vehicles unavailable for inspection.

Mail or Fax

Please mail the completed affidavits or emission certificate and a copy of the vehicle registration or title to the Vehicle Pollution Management Program:

Program address & fax

Waiver Form

Time Extension for Vehicles Unavailable for Inspection

More Resources

Vehicles in Another Test Area

If you are in an emissions testing area, you are required to have your vehicle tested in that area. Send the original test and the registration renewal notice or a copy of your current registration to our office (not to MVD) and we will process a two year waiver certificate acceptable to MVD.

Vehicles in Areas Without Emissions Testing

If your vehicle is located in an area where emission testing is not available you may receive a one year waiver by submitting an Affidavit of Vehicle Unavailability and an Affidavit of V.I.N. Inspection.

The Affidavit of V.I.N. Inspection must be completed and signed by a Law Enforcement Officer or Military/Campus Police as proof of vehicle unavailability.

Processing Details

Mail the completed affidavit(s) and/or emission test, the registration renewal notice, and the registration fee with a check made out to New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) to our office in Albuquerque.

We will process a certificate acceptable to MVD and will forward your renewal packet to them. MVD will then send your registration sticker to your New Mexico address of record. If you prefer delivery to an out-of-state address, you must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.