Rozie gave birth to a healthy female calf on October 2, 2013.
It's a girl! Rozie, a 20-year-old Asian elephant, welcomed her second calf, 'Jazmine', at 12:37 a.m. on October 2, 2013. Read the full story.
- Take a peek behind-the-scenes in this Flickr photo set.
- Watch Jazmine the calf take her first steps in this video.
- Watch the herd together in the main yard in this video.
- Check Jazmine's schedule to see her in the elephant yard.
'Jazmine' is the third Asian elephant calf to be born in New Mexico. Rozie was the first calf born at the Zoo to mother Alice in 1992. Rozie gave birth to Daizy
Preparing for Birth
Since elephants have a variable gestation period, zookeepers think about a "birth window" instead of a due date. Rozie's birth window was August - November 2013.
How did the Zoo prepare?
- Keepers suspected the calf would come in mid-September based on the length of Rozie's first pregnancy.
- Around-the-clock visual monitoring started on August 11. Dozens of BioPark staff and Education volunteers took shifts during "Birth Watch."
- Daily serum samples went to TriCore Reference Laboratories, where they measured Rozie's progesterone level. When progesterone drops to baseline and stays there, zookeepers have a good indication that the calf will arrive within a few days. Thank you to TriCore for their sponsorship of this testing!
How did Rozie prepare for birth?
- Rozie received regular check-ups from the veterinary team. Blood draws and ultrasounds were two ways they monitored the developing fetus and Rozie's health.
- Zookeepers fed Rozie (and all the elephants) a diet full of fresh fruits, vegetables, browse and hay. They especially enjoyed the extra cottonwood browse after the July 26th storm.
- Rozie exercised every day as she moved between yards, searched for enrichment and did "Pilates" with keepers. Just as it does for humans, exercise keeps her fit and limber and helped her have a successful pregnancy and birth.
The calf is the result of an artificial insemination performed by the BioPark animal care team with sperm from Samson, one of the bull elephants at the Zoo.
Back to Elephants.