Join us for special events and contests during 85 Days of Summer -- June 9 - September 1, 2012!
Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily.
Extended Summer Hours
Memorial Day through Labor Day:
Open until 6 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day.
Celebrate the Zoo's 85th with 85 Days of Summer.
Activities included with admission unless noted with $.
- Visit the Zoo with your family.
- Spot the birthday cake at the Zoo and enter to win a behind-the-scenes tour for two. Fill out our online form or go to the Zoo Administration Office to fill out a paper form.
- Feed the lorikeets! Wednesdays-Sundays, 10 - 11:30 a.m. and 2 - 3 p.m. $
- Go on a Twilight Tour of the Zoo on June 12, July 10 or August 14. Pre-registration required. $
- If you were born in 1927, the year the Zoo opened, visit the Zoo for free! Simply show your ID to a Zoo Cashier.
- Look for animal shapes in the clouds.
- Draw your favorite zoo animal for our drawing contest.
- Volunteer at the BioPark!
- Be the 85th visitor and win an animal plush.
- Sign-up for our “Photo of the Week” e-newsletter.
- “Donate a Dollar” at the and get a birthday sticker.
- Travel the world with the Animal Encounters Show, Wednesdays-Sundays, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Picnic at the Zoo with Cottonwood Café burgers.
- Visit a Nature Guide Station on weekdays, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., June 4-29 and July 9-27.
- Ride a bike or take a bus to the BioPark.
- Take advantage of the “Summer Mondays Discount” – 4 kids free with a paying adult!
- Visit the elephant family.
- Ride the rails on the Thunderbird Express.
- Celebrate Dad at the Father’s Day Fiesta, June 17. Visit discovery stations on the best animal dads.
- Capture a zoo moment for our online photo contest.
- Visit the new tree kangaroo exhibit in Koala Creek.
- Eat an apple. Zoo animals eat a total of 40 apples every day!
- If you were born in ‘85, visit the Zoo for free each Wednesday. Simply show your ID to a Zoo Cashier.
- Spend $85 in the main gift shop and save $8.50!
- Watch for wildlife at the Botanic Garden pond as you listen to music at Summer Nights,Thursdays from June 14 through August 23. $
- Visit Australia to see the only Tasmanian wombats living in the U.S.
- Spy Homer, the African Crested porcupine, on his daily stroll at noon, as volunteer schedules allow.
- Adopt an animal of your own from the City’s Animal Shelter.
- Can you name 85 different kinds of animals?
- Watch the polar bears dive for fish, 2:30 p.m.
- Share a Zoo memory.
- Swing with the Hot Club of Cowtown on June 22 at Zoo Music. $
- Be the 850th visitor and win a free ice cream cone.
- Watch for wildlife in your backyard.
- Dance to the Celtic rock of The Elders on June 29 at Zoo Music. $
- Share your historic photos of the BioPark.
- Sponsor your favorite animal as a BioPark Parent.
- Take the plunge at a City pool. Can you swim like a frog or a polar bear?
- Pet a llama! Alpaca and llama walks take place at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., as volunteer schedules allow.
- Be an early bird and get into the Zoo free during 100.3 the Peak’s “Free Summer Fun Roadshow” on July 3 from 6 – 10 a.m.
- Take a spin with the Texas Tornados at Zoo Music on July 6. $
- See some of our favorite images and ideas on Pinterest.
- Hang a bird feeder in your yard for native birds.
- Jam with Ziggy Marley on July 9. $
- Visit marine animals at the Aquarium.
- Check-in with Foursquare for a special deal at the Cottonwood Café or Jungle Shop.
- Play animal charades.
- Don’t be blue! Come hear the blues from Tommy Castro at Zoo Music on July 13. $
- Balance on one leg like a flamingo.
- Find the zoo animal that smells like buttered popcorn.
- Who at the Zoo is older than 85? Visit the Aldabra tortoises!
- Build your own animal at “Critter Outfitters”
- Go for a hike in the bosque. Tingley Beach is a great place to start.
- Enter to win an “$85 Gift Basket” from the Jungle Shop.
- Rock out at the Houston Jones concert for Zoo Music on July 20. $
- Come to the Zoo’s 85th Birthday Bash on Sunday, July 22 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Play “pin the tail on the zebra.”
- Watch animals get birthday-themed enrichment.
- Dress up like an animal for the birthday parade.
- Stuff yourself in the cake eating contest.
- Enjoy music in the Park.
- Sing “Happy Birthday!” and eat birthday cake.
- Invite a friend to come to the Birthday Bash!
- Come to Animal Story Time, Thursdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Sing along with singer-songwriter Kim Richey at Zoo Music on July 27. $
- Cool off with a cold drink from one of the cafes.
- Check out our list of 85 Ways to Help Animals.
- Colbie Callait and Gavin DeGraw play a special fundraiser concert on August 8. $
- Look for a rare Socorro dove in Tropical America—this bird is extinct in the wild!
- Enjoy the smooth sounds of jazz from Mindi Abair at Zoo Music on August 3. $
- Like us on Facebook.
- Check out how long a giraffe’s tongue is at Giraffe Feeding, Wednesdays-Sundays, 12 - 1:30 p.m. $
- Hop into the new exhibit, Amphibians: Life on a Limb, starting August 5.
- Join the seals & sea lions for a meal – feedings at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Landscape with native plants to save water and provide animal habitat.
- Feed the ducks.
- Roll with the bluegrass and Americana sounds from The Steel Wheels at Zoo Music on August 10. $
- Visit the library to check out books about animals.
- Become a BioPark Society member and come to the members-only Feast with the Beasts.
- Hug a tree. Trees provide homes for lots of animals!
- Party with the pachyderms on August 25 - Elephant Conservation Day!
- Buy a combo ticket and ride the Rio Line Train to the Aquarium and Botanic Garden.
- Watch crocodiles chow down, Fridays at 3:45 p.m.
- Learn how bald is beautiful on September 1 at International Vulture Awareness Day.
- See the new wattled crane exhibit in Africa.