Learn how "Our Actions Matter" at the Zoo, Aquarium, Botanic Garden and Tingley Beach.
A family explores a cast of a gorilla hand with a Zoo Docent at Earth Day. Photo by Amy Landers/ABQ BioPark.
The ABQ BioPark celebrates Earth Day on Saturday, April 20, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. More than 60 activities, demonstrations and speakers are stationed throughout the Zoo, Botanic Garden, Tingley Beach and Aquarium.
Not only is the Earth Day celebration packed with activities, it is a great deal for the whole family. The event falls on Half-Price Weekend; single admission tickets are 50% off. Guests who bike to the BioPark can enjoy an additional $1 off any regular admission and a free bicycle valet service from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
"We have an amazing Earth Day planned this year and dozens of partners joining us to share the message that Our Actions Matter," said Kathryn Venzor, BioPark Education Curator. "By taking advantage of our fun, hands-on stations and special opportunities to talk to staff through the entire facility, we hope guests will be inspired to make a difference through their own actions."
BioPark Earth Day Highlights
- Discovery Stations and BioPark Expert Talks: Hands-on learning stations located throughout the facilities and talks by keepers, aquarists and gardeners scheduled throughout the day.
- Children's Seed Festival: Follow a seed's life story, make art and plant a seed to take home in the Children's Fantasy Garden. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Albuquerque.
- World Animal Encounters: The Zoo's live show begins its season with performances at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Stars include free-flight birds, mammals and even reptiles!
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours of the Aquatic Conservation Facility: Home to endangered fish, including Rio Grande silvery minnows. Sign up near the Aquarium entrance.
- Free Fly-Fishing Lessons for Kids: Tingley Beach (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.).
Demonstrations, Info Booths, Games and Live Music: Fun for all ages on the Botanic Garden Festival Green and Zoo Park.
- Bike to the BioPark: $1 off regular admission for bicyclists on Saturday. BikeABQ, the New Mexico Touring Society and the Bicycle Coalition of New Mexico will offer a free bicycle valet service at the Zoo and Aquarium/Garden from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
All activities are included with admission. Earth Day is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Albuquerque and Affordable Solar. For more information, email [email protected] or dial 311 locally (505-768-2000).