World Giraffe Day Celebrations
Celebrate World Giraffe Day at the BioPark.
Education volunteers will have discovery stations with hands-on learning opportunities. Bring your questions, and get to know more about the BioPark's giraffe herd and what you can do to help support giraffe conservation.
- Visitors will have the opportunity to write on the path way along the giraffe habitat with chalk – Giraffes rock, we support giraffes, we love giraffes – stuff like that .
- A “guess my weight” game will be running until the end of the last event day, Tuesday, June 21, 2016. Visitors will have the opportunity to guess Kumi’s and/or Buc’s exact weight. There will be a prize for the first correct name and guess pulled from the boxes.
- Visitors will be able to write and voice their awareness on a banner to help support giraffes.
- Enrichment/decorations will provided to the giraffes throughout the day.
- Giraffe Coloring pages for the smaller visitors.
- Hands-on discovery stations with plenty of information to learn more about giraffes, and why we need to be aware of their role in nature. This species is dwindling silently, and we need to make some noise for them.
- Get your own hands-on experience with giraffe feeding from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Visit baby Kumi.
- Giraffe keepers will give a talk at the giraffe exhibit on June 21 at 2 p.m.
Jeans for Giraffes
ABQ BioPark is also participating in Jeans for Giraffes in celebration of World Giraffe Day. Donate your jeans to help save giraffes from now until September 5! Donate denim to the ABQ BioPark at designated locations; denim will be shipped to a textile recycling company and recycled into insulation. A portion of the proceeds goes toward giraffe conservation efforts in Africa. Keep your jeans out of the landfill and help save an amazing species.
What We Will Accept
Any type of denim; needs to be cleaned and free of contaminants; denim with oil stains will not be accepted
There will be public collection boxes at the Zoo administration building, Aquarium/Botanic Garden administration buliding and the NM BioPark Society’s office at 1320 Iron Ave SW. Drop-off hours at the NM BioPark Society are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Drop off at the other locations is between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily, including Saturday and Sunday. Donation receipts available upon request.