Information about Balloon Museum volunteer positions.
- Register online with pertinent volunteer information.
- If computer access is not available, contact us to register.
- Provide a copy of driver's license.
- Pass a police background check. Balloon Museum will process and pay for background check.
Deadline: Volunteer background check paperwork complete by Sept. 30, 2013.
- Attend on-site volunteer training and museum tour prior to Oct. 5 and the start of Balloon Fiesta.
- Everyone must attend one tour, one "general information" training, and one job-specific training.
- Multiple dates are offered for tours, general information, and some jobs.
- Balloon Mail Sales — Shifts I & II. Volunteers sit and sell specially marked envelopes that will be flown by a Balloon Fiesta pilot during Fiesta and then mailed by the US Postal Service. Volunteers needed to stuff and stamp envelopes prior to Fiesta.
- Balloon Mail Runners — Shifts I & II. Volunteers distribute to and collect mail from balloon pilots at Balloon Fiesta Park.
- Balloon Explorium Assistants — Shifts I, II & III. Looking for individuals interested to assists guests of all ages with hands-on exhibits in the Balloon School Exhibition and answer questions about ballooning. Standing and walking required. Knowledge of ballooning a plus, but not required.
- Balloon Museum Representative at Balloon Fiesta Park — Shift I. Volunteers represent Balloon Museum on Balloon Fiesta Park during morning launches. Looking for outgoing individuals to tell people about the Balloon Museum and how to get there from Balloon Fiesta Park.
- Balloon Museum Shoppe Assistant — Shifts I, II & III. Shift IV- Wednesday only. Volunteers assist the shoppe staff with bagging purchases and retrieving items from the stock room as they are requested by guests. Volunteers also assist with cleaning and straightening the shoppe before opening and closing. Standing and walking required.
- Diamond Club Host/Hostess — Shifts I & IV. Volunteers welcome guests, give directions, answer questions and check tickets. Help clean up area after event. Helpful if volunteer is familiar with ballooning and can answer questions about Albuquerque and Fiesta. Diamond Club is a VIP dining and viewing area at the Balloon Museum for ticketed patrons.
- Diamond Club Check In — Shift I & IV. Volunteers check in ticketed guests to Diamond Club, a VIP dining and viewing area at the Balloon Museum. Volunteers sit at a table outside the front entrance to the museum at5:00 am or 4:30 pm.
- Family Craft Assistants — Shifts I & II. Looking for interest in working with children and families while offering "how-to" instructions on given craft projects. Assistance is also needed to prepare supplies for craft activities prior to Fiesta.
- Floaters — Shifts I, II & III. Provide backup to fill various positions during breaks, absences and peak hours. Monitors museum inside and out for timely trash pickups, restock supplies where needed, monitor volunteer lounge for up-to-date communication and food supplies. Standing and walking required.
- Information Booth Attendant — Shifts I, II, & III. Volunteers interact with museum visitors and general public. Looking for strong customer service skills. Volunteers answer questions about Balloon Museum, Balloon Fiesta, local places of interest, and much more. Computer and internet skills a plus. Position may sit or stand.
- Parking Attendants— Shifts I & IV. Direct traffic in Balloon Museum parking lot to guide guests, volunteers and staff to designated parking areas. Long periods of standing and walking are required.
- Radio-Controlled Balloon Crew Member — Shift I & II. Assist with the launching, flying and retrieval of radio controlled hot air balloons. Responsible for safely maintaining equipment and caring for the safety of visitors who are observing the demonstration. *Prior experience with hot air ballooning a plus, but not required.
- Shuttle Driver — Shift I, II & IV. Will be trained on proper safety procedures for driving, loading and unloading passengers, and the specific route the shuttles will follow. Must be at least 18 and have valid New Mexico driver’s license. Drivers are not permitted to accept gratuities. Shuttles are open-air golf-type passenger carts.
- Special Events Crew — Shifts I, II, III & IV. Volunteers set-up, decorate, welcome guests, answer questions and offer general assistance during special events, such as The Big Top Chocolate Festival, Festival of Flight, Hall of Fame Awards, Scout Day, and more. All special events are held various days on Balloon Museum grounds during Balloon Fiesta.
- Telephone Information Specialist — Shifts I, II & III. Answer incoming telephone lines and direct calls to the appropriate person and answer questions about the museum, Balloon Fiesta, and otherquestions in general. Computer and internet skills a plus.