Casa San Ysidro needs you!
Volunteer Opportunity: Docent
The purpose of the Casa San Ysidro volunteer program is to provide qualified people to support the Site and its programs. Docents are needed to assist with special events and programs and to guide public and school tours. Our goal is to inspire our visitors as well as providing educational opportunities.
Guided Public Tours
Docents guide tours of Casa for small groups of visiting public. Tours are theme based and training is provided. Tours are one hour in length.
Guided School Tours
Students from area schools are one of Casa’s primary audiences. Pre-scheduled groups visit the site throughout the school year (excepting December and January when the site is closed) and in early summer. Most visiting school groups are in the third to sixth grades, however we try to accommodate as many interested groups as we can. Casa school tour content is planned to connect to New Mexico State history standards and Common Core Standards adopted by area schools.
Special Events and Programs
On some occasions guided tours are suspended and visitors tour the property at their own pace interacting with docents at particular stations throughout. At these times Docents help with crowd control and safety for the museum furnishings as well as education. They may also assist by leading a simple craft or other activity.
- Formal, classroom style training is provided and required on an annual basis. Continued training opportunities are provided several times each year.
- Successful Docents have the ability to stand, walk and move around the property and structures for at least one hour.
- The Albuquerque Museum requires all volunteers to pass a background check. Background Check Applications will be provided to all interested applicants before starting training.
- Shifts may vary between one and three hours at a time depending on the program or event.
- One shift a week during peak school visitation periods (October, November, April, early May) is preferred. Otherwise two shifts a month accepting December and January are minimum expectation.
- Volunteers are asked to return one year of service for each year of training.
Casa’s small staff operates as a team to protect the museum and serve the visitor in the most professional manner possible. Docents will usually interact with the Tour Coordinator and Site Manager. The Albuquerque Museum’s Curator of Education oversees all volunteer and educational programs. Call 897-8828 for more information and to join the Casa San Ysidro Docent Program.