District 2 Newsletter - June 3, 2016
I spoke recently at a press conference on behavioral health sponsored by the City and Bernalillo County on Civic Plaza. We’re working closely with UNM Hospital and many others in the provider and consumer community to create a system that will better fund, coordinate and implement critical services in our urban region.
Legislation of Interest
- 25% Solar by 2025, R-16-36 (Davis, Benton) requires that the Energy Conservation Council recommend a new solar energy standard for the City of Albuquerque, establishing a goal of getting 25% or more of the City’s energy from solar by 2025. The City is one of New Mexico's largest energy consumers and should be a leader energy efficiency and environmentally responsibility. This bill is on the agenda for the next meeting, Monday, June 6. We are considering amending this to read “up to” 50 or 100 percent.
- FY17 One-year Objectives for the Five-year forecast FS R-16-40 (Benton) establishes the City’s current objectives across all departments toward implementing its existing 5-year goals, for the fiscal year beginning July 2016.
- Land & Water Conservation Fund and the Northern Geologic Window M-16-2 (Benton) requests immediate action on an appeal to our Federal delegation for funding from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. This would be used for the purchase of priority Open Space lands within the North Geologic window of the Petroglyph National Monument, and was recently recommended by the Open Space Advisory Board.
- Position on PNM Rate Case R-16-53 (Benton) outlines the City’s positons on certain aspect of the current Public Service Company of NM rate currently before the Public Regulation Commission. PNM is proposing a new rate structure that will affect the City’s cost of electrical power.
- ART Transit Advisory Board O-16-12 (Sanchez, Harris) was deferred to the meeting next Monday, May 16. This ordinance creates a special private-interest transit advisory board for business and property owners only along the ART route. The purpose of the Board would be to develop short term solutions to issues that arise during construction of ART and to form long term strategies for coordinating operation of the line with business activities up and down the Central Avenue corridor and on Louisiana to the Uptown Transit Station. We already have a citizens’ Transit Advisory Board. I encourage all citizens to participate in our TAB, including business and property owners. I oppose a separate Board that benefits a specific class of residents.
- North Corridor MRA R-16-49 (Benton, by request) was appropriated $850,000 in the FY17 budget. R-16-49 designates the North Corridor Metropolitan Redevelopment Area between the railroad tracks and 4th Street from Granite Avenue to the city limit and directs the Metropolitan Redevelopment Agency to prepare an MRA Plan for the area. This bill will have its first hearing at Council’s Land Use Planning & Zoning Committee (LUPZ) on Wednesday, June 15. The LUPZ meeting begins at 5:00 pm in the Council Committee Room, 9th floor of City Hall.
- Police Oversight Board Applications: Police Oversight Board (POB) application process is open from June 1, 8:00 AM until July 1, 5:00 PM.
- ABC-Z Project: A revised draft of the comp plan has been published and is available on the project website. Comments may be submitted via abc-zone.com or email [email protected]. The Comprehensive Plan is slated to be submitted to the Environmental Planning Commission and June, to be heard at their first hearing in August.
- Boards and Commissions Vacancies: Greater Albuquerque Bicycling Advisory Committee has a SW Representative vacancy and an Unincorporated East vacancy.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- CivicPlazaPresents.com: Summer events on Civic Plaza!
- Rail Yards Market: Sundays 10 – 2 thru October
- 20th Annual Downtown Growers’ Market: Saturdays 8 – 12 thru November 5
- Valley Area Command Citizens Policing Council (VACCPC): Meetings are every fourth Thursday at 6:00 pm in the Los Duranes Community Center.
- Cultural Services Events
City Councilor, District 2