District 2 Newsletter February 12, 2016
Note that due to the Presidents Day holiday on Monday, the City Council meeting will be next Wednesday, February 17. Council meetings begin at 5:00 pm in the Vincent Griego Chambers, basement level of the City/County Government Building at 1 Civic Plaza NW.
I receive many responses to this newsletter and appreciate hearing from you! For tracking purposes, please change the subject line if you reply to this email.
Legislation of Interest
- Open Space Acquisition R-16-12: Over the past year, the Council has been taking a strong look at our Open Space system including its oversight and use of available resources. This bill is part of that effort, which also includes a state legislative capital request. Read the Albuquerque Journal article and editorial on R-16-12. A new version was substituted at LUPZ (available online) and deferred to the next meeting on Wednesday, March 16.
- Downtown Arts & Cultural District R-16-10 will be heard at next Wednesday’s Council meeting. This legislation adopts a Downtown Arts & Cultural District Plan and boundary. The purpose of adopting the plan and boundary is to identify areas of improvement and cultural opportunities within the downtown area. With a formal boundary adopted, funding for improvements downtown will be more accessible. This plan is a potential great addition to downtown, which I support.
- EC-16-53 and EC-16-54: In 2006, terrible flooding caused damage in the Martineztown neighborhood. Since then, the City has been working with AMAFCA replace our aging pumping system. I’m pleased to report that these two bills will acquire the property that’s needed to being the upgrade. Both are on the Wednesday’s Council agenda.
- Secondary Dwelling Units O-14-20 failed on a 4-5 vote. I will continue to pursue options that would allow neighborhoods to “opt in” a conditional or permissive use if it suits them.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- Cultural Services Events
- Chatter Pay What You Wish Concert: February 14, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Free Downtown Walking Tours: Every Saturday from 10 – 11:30 am. Tour begins at 1st & Central SW in front of the movie theater and walks to 8th & Central.
- Valley Area Command Citizens Policing Council (VACCPC): Next meeting is Wednesday, February 17th at 10:00am.
- ABC-Z Comprehensive Plan Update: The public review draft is available for comment.
- Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART): This week, the Small Starts grant was awarded by the Federal Transit Administration for the project. Construction is expected to begin this spring. Read my recent statement about the project. I am continuing discussion with the ART team about all of the issues I’ve outlined. I encourage you to stay informed and involved! Updated designs for the ART are now available online.
- Bee City USA: I am working with NM Beekeepers to create a Bee City USA designation for the City of Albuquerque.
- Boards and Commissions Vacancies: The District 2 position on the Library Advisory Board is vacant. Please send a letter of interest and qualifications to [email protected].
- The Rail Runner will offer regular full service Monday schedule on Presidents Day (February 15).
- Projects List
- Rio Grande Boulevard Complete Street Concept Plan (south of I-40): There will be a public meeting on Thursday, March 10th at 6:00 pm to review the design concepts for Rio Grande Boulevard. The meeting will be held in the Council Committee Room, Suite 9081 in City Hall.
- Sawmill/Wells Park Area Traffic Plan: The consultant is designing proposed improvements to 12th Street between I-40 and Mountain Road, informed by many years of public meetings and studies, including the sector plan transportation amendments adopted last year. A public meeting will be held to present the plan in late spring/early summer.
City Councilor, District 2