District 2 Newsletter 9/4/15
Happy Labor Day! Please note below in Community Announcements changes to public transportation service this holiday weekend.
Legislation of Interest
• Food Trucks O-15-36 (Benton) will be on the agenda for the Wednesday, September 9 Council meeting. This proposed ordinance establishes parking opportunities and privileges for food trucks, such as allowing them to park and operate on private property and to park longer than normally allowed.
• Decriminalization of Marijuana R-15-243 and O-15-60 (Garduño, Benton) will be introduced next week to be heard at the Council meeting on Monday, September 21. These bills establish a policy of lowest priority for enforcement of laws criminalizing possession of one ounce or less of marijuana, remove marijuana and related offenses from the City’s criminal code, and create civil penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana or marijuana paraphernalia. According to a 2013 poll performed by Research & Polling, Inc., approximately 57% of New Mexico voters favor reducing the penalty for adult possession of marijuana for personal use from a criminal misdemeanor to a civil penalty with small fines and no jail time. Additionally, an advisory question placed on the 2014 general election ballot in Bernalillo County regarding marijuana decriminalization was supported by 60% of City residents, 70% of District 2 residents, and a majority in all nine Council districts. I do not believe criminal enforcement of marijuana offences to be a good use of scarce law enforcement resources.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
• Cultural Services Events: September 2015
• ABC-Z Project: Comprehensive Plan Vision Open Houses September 21 and 22
• MiABQ Mixer: September 24, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
• NM Steam Locomotive & Railroad Historical Society Open House: September 26, 9am – 4pm
• 2015 ABQ CiQlovía: September 30, 10am – 3pm
• Pop Up Playground in the Sawmill neighborhood: October 24, 10am – 3pm
• Rail Yards Market Sundays 10am – 2pm May through October
• WHEELS Museum at the Rail Yards, open Sundays 10am – 2 pm
• Projects List
• 12th & Menaul: The early stages of the Indian Pueblo Development Corporation (IPDC) are underway. The City’s design team continues to work with IPDC and other stakeholders to complete the design of the City’s street project.
• Edith Transfer Station Project: This project has been submitted to the Environmental Planning Commission. The staff planner is Vicente Quemado [email protected]
• Gabaldon/Leopoldo Street Improvements: Ideas will be presented at the Los Duranes Neighborhood Association meeting on Wednesday, September 16.
• North 4th Street / Candelaria to Menaul: This project is being designed. More information to come!
• Rio Grande Blvd / I-40 to Central: Website coming soon!
• Santa Barbara Martineztown Pedestrian Improvements: More details to come!
• No ABQ RIDE or Sun Van service on Labor Day
• Changes to Rail Runner service Labor Day weekend
• From the City Forester: Rain, Rain – Don’t Go Away!
• Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART): The City has applied for the federal Small Starts grant, which would fund approximately $80 million of the estimated $100 million project. Stay informed and involved!
• Boards and Commissions Vacancies
City Councilor, District 2