District 2 Newsletter 7/31/15
Legislation of Interest
• Secondary Dwelling Units O-14-20 (Benton) will be on the August 3 Council agenda; the meeting starts at 5:00 pm in the Vincent Griego Chambers, basement level of City Hall. A floor substitute was accepted at the last meeting and is available online. The substitute bill allows Secondary Dwelling Units as a conditional use within the RO-1, RA-1, R-LT and R-T Zones, but would NOT allow them as a permissive or conditional use in the R-1 Zones. There was not support on the Council for including secondary dwellings as a conditional use in R-1.
• Fair Workweek O-15-57 (Peña, Benton) will have its first hearing at the Finance & Government Operations (FGO) Committee on Monday, August 10 at 5:00 pm in the Council Committee Room, 9th floor of City Hall. This ordinance provides for paid sick time, advance notice of work schedules, compensation for unexpected shift changes, and the right to rest between shifts. These policies will help with better parenting and employee satisfaction, retention and performance. It will help retain and attract a better workforce for Albuquerque. This is particularly important for single parents and working women.
• Food Trucks O-15-36 (Benton) establishes parking opportunities and privileges for food trucks, such as allowing them to park and operate on private property and to park longer than normally allowed. A substitute bill was moved at the Land Use Planning & Zoning (LUPZ) Committee meeting and is available online. The next LUPZ hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, August 12 at 5:00 pm in the Council Committee Room, 9th floor of City Hall.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
• Projects List
• North 4th Street Improvements: Construction begins in late July on improvements from Haines to Constitution. Pedestrian improvements Candelaria to Menaul are in design.
• Girard Boulevard Complete Street Master Plan: We are moving forward with design! A public meeting will be scheduled in the coming months.
• Solid Waste Transfer Station: The comment period for the third public meeting for the Proposed Edith Transfer Station has been extended from July 30, 2015 to August 2, 2015. Comments are requested on Proposed Site Plan C and Proposed Site Plan D in order to develop a preferred design alternative. Comments will be accepted at www.abqets.com or they may be mailed, emailed or faxed to Savina Garcia, Wilson & Company, Inc., Engineers & Architects, 4900 Lang Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109, fax (505) 348-4055 or emailed to email@example.com.
• Neighborhood Traffic Management Program: The City has launched a webpage that contains the Policy Manual itself, an online system for applying for management of speeding, cut-through and other traffic problems in your neighborhood, and contact information for further information. You may visit the site at www.cabq.gov/traffic.
• Dangerous Dogs: In July, I called on the Mayor to take action regarding dangerous dogs.
• Boards and Commissions Vacancies
• Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART): Stay informed here!
City Councilor, District 2