District 2 Newsletter 5/15/15
Legislation of Interest
- Bikeways and Trails Plan R-14-142 (Benton, by request) will be on the agenda for the Monday, May 18 City Council meeting at 5:00 pm in the Vincent Griego Chambers, basement level of City Hall.
- Sawmill Wells Park Area Traffic Plan R-14-86 will be on the agenda for adoption at the May 18 Council meeting.
- Bosque Projects R-15-171 (Benton) establishes procedures for expending funds and implementing future projects in the Bosque. R-171 is on the May 18 agenda.
- P-15-9 is a proposition to be submitted to the voters at the October 6 municipal election to amend the City Charter to specify that the appointment of the Police Chief will require the consent of the City Council. The charter amendment would also allow Council to remove a Chief for cause with a 2/3-majority vote. May 18 will be the first of two hearings required at Council.
- Secondary Dwelling Units O-14-20 (Benton) will be moved for deferral for 30 days in order to provide time for Council and Planning staff to continue addressing stakeholder concerns. If the deferral is approved, this legislation will be on the June 15, 2015 Council agenda. Please check this page for updates and any proposed amendments.
- Projects List: Now updated with additional projects! We will continue to work to update this list and provide additional details of the projects on it.
- Alameda Drain Trail: I provided City funding for our part in a collaborative planning effort with MRGCD, Bernalillo County, and AMAFCA for a multi-use trail along the Alameda Drain/2nd Street. A multi-jurisdictional agreement has been signed by all parties and the planning process will soon begin. More information to come!
- Gabaldon/Leopoldo Road Improvements: Information coming soon!
- North 4th Street Proposed Mixed-Use Development: I secured additional funding for the purchase of the site. The City is partnered with the County on this redevelopment project. Updates to come!
- North 4th Street Improvements – Candelaria to Menaul: This project focuses on multi-modal improvements on 4th Street, including a bicycle/pedestrian crossing at the Alameda Drain/Matthew. Updates coming soon!
- Rio Grande Boulevard Old Town: This project will be a Complete Street concept plan for Rio Grande Boulevard between I-40 and approximately Central Avenue. More information to come!
- San Isidro Traffic Calming: Information coming soon!
- I was pleased to attend the ribbon cutting for the North Valley Senior Center’s new fitness center and classroom addition today! I secured the final funding needed for this project last year through the City’s capital budget process.
- I also attended the launch of Albuquerque’s new BICI bike share in downtown today. BICI is the result of the collective efforts of The DowntownABQ Main Street Initiative, the Mid-Region Council of Governments (MRCOG) and the City of Albuquerque, and I helped to secure funding for two Council-sponsored kiosks.
- ABC-Z Project: Online Survey to better understand values and priorities of citizens.
- The 2014 Albuquerque Progress Report is now available online. This report is produced by the Indicators Progress Commission to communicate to leaders and residents the progress our community is making toward realizing the City of Albuquerque's Goals.
- Boards and Commissions Vacancies: There are several vacancies – get involved!
- Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART): Stay informed here!
Upcoming Events & Meetings
- Cultural Services Events: May 2015
- Chatter Pay-What-You-Wish Concerts on June 28! Classical music in an intimate, informal venue.
- ABQ Food Fridays on Civic Plaza
- Movies on the Plaza Fridays in May and June
- Rail Yards Market Sundays 9am – 1pm May through October
- ABC-Z Project: Comprehensive Plan update workshops are planned for May and June of 2015.
City Councilor, District 2