District 2 Newsletter 4/3/15
Legislation of Interest
- Bosque Construction R-15-171 (Benton) establishes procedures for expending funds and implementing future projects in the Bosque. This bill will be on the agenda at Monday’s (April 6) City Council meeting.
- PNM San Juan Agreement M-15-9 (Benton) and R-15-177 (Winter) are both on Monday’s Council agenda. With the withdraw of additional supporters of PNM’s Stipulated Agreement for coal generated power at the San Juan generating station, I introduced legislation once again calling upon the City’s PRC lobbyist to withdraw the City’s support for the Stipulated Agreement. My intention is that the replacement power not include nuclear power, minimize the use of fossil fuels, and maximize the use of renewables. Councilor Winter subsequently introduced a resolution directing the Administration to withdraw from the agreement.
- Bikeways and Trails Plan R-14-142 (Benton, by request) will also be on the agenda for the April 6 City Council meeting.
- Secondary Dwelling Units O-14-20 (Benton) was moved out of the Land Use Planning & Zoning (LUPZ) Committee. It is on the April 6 agenda but my intent is to defer it to the April 20 Council meeting. O-14-20 amends the Zoning Code to add a definition and regulations for secondary dwelling units. The proposed amendment would make secondary dwelling units a conditional use in the R-1 and RO-1 zones and a permissive use in the R-G and R-2 zones. It also establishes design, size, parking, and occupancy regulations for secondary dwelling units.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
- UNM SOM, Institute for Ethics: Social Determinants of Healthy Aging: April 7, 4:30-6:30pm, UNM Domenici Center West
- Transition Albuquerque: April 10-11,2015
- Rainwater Harvesting Basics Class 1: Sunday, April 12, 1 – 3 pm, Open Space Visitors Center
- Rainwater Harvesting Basics Class 2: Saturday, April 18, 1-2:30 PM, Seed Library, Juan Tabo Library
- Plant the Plaza!: Wednesday, April 22, all day, Civic Plaza
- The Great American Cleanup: Saturday, April 25, 2015, 9 am to 12 pm
- Cultural Services Calendar: April 2015
- Boards and Commissions Vacancies: There are several vacancies – get involved!
- Wildfire Safety: I visited neighborhood volunteers, Open Space and Fire Department personnel in the North Valley today and viewed the progress of reducing fire danger in open space adjacent to a residential area. This is a great example of residents being vigilant and notifying my office of their concerns, after which we coordinated a multi-departmental effort. We encourage you and your neighborhood to also be on the lookout for fire dangers. For more information about wildfire safety and to learn how to harden your home against wildfires, contact Lieutenant Brian Fox (AFD) at [email protected].
- Projects List
- Coming soon: South Broadway Park and Guadalupe Park improvements!
- Coming soon: Downtown Neighborhoods Area traffic calming improvements!
- Sawmill Wells Park Area Traffic Plan is scheduled for a second Land Use Planning & Zoning (LUPZ) hearing on Wednesday, April 15.
- Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP): The Department of Municipal Development is currently building a website for the updated Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP) and will begin taking applications.
City Councilor, District 2