Parks & Recreation Department (PRD) Park Management can improve upon the valuable services it provides to the citizens of Albuquerque. The Department’s recognition that change can only happen through active engagement and participation is a crucial step which will lead to the furthered success of the Department. By accepting and implementing the recommendations listed in the audit report, PRD will position itself toward becoming a proactive, organized, successful division within the City of Albuquerque.
The Office of Internal Audit (OIA) conducted a performance audit of the Park Management Division with a focus on Park Maintenance within the Parks & Recreation Department (PRD). The audit was included in the FY13 approved audit plan.
Park Management’s main focus is sustaining a healthy park system to make Albuquerque a great place to live and play.
Objective: Does PRD have a maintenance plan in place that will help Park Management ensure the successful upkeep of City parks and medians?
- Park Management does not have a maintenance plan in place.
- There is not an up-to-date, comprehensive inventory of parks, medians and trails.
- From a sample of 22 parks, obvious maintenance needs were noted at 13 parks (59%).
Objective: Are PRD supervisory controls for Park Management staff sufficient to manage the successful maintenance of city parks and medians?
- Park Management does not have formal written policies and procedures.
- Paper work orders are used, though park data is not tracked.
- Voluminous quantities of work orders are retained.
- Supervisors are unable to use the tools available (i.e. GPS) as field supervisors and are seldom in the office.
Objective: Does PRD have effective internal controls to protect department assets from fraud, waste, or abuse?
- Park Management does not have an inventory listing and does not take periodic inventory of supplies on hand.
- Park Management does not have an inventory listing of equipment issued to each Area.
- There are no formal written policies and procedures.
- Periodic verifications are not conducted on the permanent & temporary issuance files.
- There is inadequate separation of duties involving P-card purchases.
- There is inadequate fiscal oversight.