Air Quality Index
- To hear the current AQI via phone, call (505) 768-4734 or (505) 766-7664.
- Today's AQI Forecast
- Sign up for EnviroFlash Air Quality email Notifications
- Sign up for air quality forecast and Action Day notifications by city in RSS and CAP formats.
- Learn how the City forecasts ozone and particulate matter
- Learn more about the AQI
- Learn how to stay healthy
Today's Air Quality Index
What is the Air Quality Index (AQI)?
The AQI is an index for reporting daily air quality. It tells you how clean or polluted your air is, and what associated health effects might be a concern for you. The AQI focuses on health effects you may experience within a few hours or days after breathing polluted air.
The EPA calculates the AQI for five major air pollutants regulated by the Clean Air Act (1990):
- ground-level ozone
- particle pollution (also known as particulate matter)
- carbon monoxide
- sulfur dioxide
- nitrogen dioxide
For each of these pollutants, EPA has established National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) to protect public health. Ground-level ozone and airborne particles are the two pollutants that pose the greatest threat to human health in this country.