Fugitive Dust Control
Dirt tracked onto paved surfaces contributes significantly to Bernalillo County's particulate matter (PM10) air pollution.
Fugitive Dust Control Requirements
To reduce these types of emissions, Bernalillo County requires that dirt tracked onto paved surfaces be promptly removed and that measures be taken to control dust from operations, such as construction, landscaping, and road work at all times.
A Surface Disturbance permit is required for all jobs that will disturb three quarters (¾) of an acre or more of soil. Permit applications for surface disturbance are available at either the downtown Environmental Health Department Office (3rd floor), the West Side Office or can be.
If you are not sure whether or not your property or job site will require a surface disturbance permit, please call the Air Quality Program at (505) 768-1972.
More Dust Control Information
- Fugitive Dust Control Techniques and Businesses
- For fugitive dust complaints please call (505) 768-1972, or dial 311.
- If you have questions concerning the dust program or a top soil disturbance permit, call (505) 768-1972 or email [email protected]
- Fugitive Dust Control Regulation 20.11.20 NMAC is available from the New Mexico Administrative Code (NMAC) web site
- Regulations and Ordinances