Translate Our Site

Who do I call about a smell or other air issues?

Sewer odor? Need a radon test? We can point you in the right direction.

NOTE: The following issues are NOT handled by the Air Quality Division. This is a list of people to contact for your most common concerns.

Please contact the agency listed below.

Who to Contact for Outdoor Air Issues

Exhaust from Idling Vehicles

(Heavy Equipment, Diesel Buses, Trucks, etc.)

Sewer or Chlorine Smell

Sulfur/Sulfide Odors

Natural Gas and Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Dead Animal Smell

Industrial or Commercial (Business) Related Odors

  • For Chemical or Methamphetamine (Meth) Lab Smell, call 911

Outside Albuquerque or Bernalillo County

For outdoor odor and other concerns outside Albuquerque or Bernalillo County, please contact:

Who to Contact for Indoor Air Issues

Questions about Radon?

Please contact the New Mexico Environment Department at 1-800-324-5928

How to Get a Radon Test

Go to and access the New Mexico section.

Or call 1-800-324-5928 and following the instructions for “The State of New Mexico Radon Test Kit Program” option.

Private Residence

Rental Units

Many of your questions can be addressed by the links above for private residences. Additional questions can be answered by the following organizations:

  • Landlord/Tenant Hotline:  664 Alta Vista Street Santa Fe, NM 87505 (505) 998-4529
  • For City of Albuquerque Housing – See Housing Code Enforcement – (505) 924-3450
  • For Bernalillo County Community Services, Housing Division– See BC Community Services – (505) 764-3920

Workplace/Office or Commercial Buildings