In anticipation of the nation’s most heavily traveled holiday weekend, the Albuquerque International Sunport has developed some tips to help travelers prepare for a safe and enjoyable holiday travel experience.
The Air Transport Association (ATA) is forecasting that nearly 24 million passengers will travel globally on U.S. airlines during the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday season (November 16 through November 27). The busiest travel days are expected to be Wednesday, November 21, Sunday, November 25, and Tuesday, November 26.
“Proper travel planning can be the most important element to a successful and relaxing holiday season,” Aviation Director Jim Hinde said. “Travelers should allow adequate time to get to the airport, park, check your luggage and complete the screening process. Once in the terminal, customers can enjoy a variety of dining and shopping options, along with free wifi.”
Sunport and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials offer the following tips to travelers for the upcoming holiday travel period:
- Arrive at the Airport at least 90 minutes prior to your flight departure to allow ample time for parking and to complete the check-in and security screening process.
- The terminal parking garage is accessible from the Arrival (lower) Level. The long-term lot fills up quickly and short term may reach its capacity. The Sunport now also offers a long-term credit card only lot that is accessible via Girard Blvd. Rates in the credit card lot are identical to the rates in the long-term parking lot.
- Only one carry-on bag and one personal item (such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, diaper bag) are permitted through screening. All other bags or personal items must be checked-in as regular baggage.
- Travelers may carry through the security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, Quart-Size, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Remember the 3 -1 -1 rule which means you can bring containers that are 3oz in size or less, in one clear plastic quart-size zip top bag, and one bag per passenger.
- The TSA offers a designated family line that is available to families, travelers with special needs or individuals who are unfamiliar with the screening process and require additional assistance.
- Do not wrap gifts, as they are subject to search.
- Only ticketed passengers will be allowed beyond the security checkpoint.
- Curbside parking is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. No unattended vehicles are permitted.
- Visitors can help avoid roadway congestion by utilizing the Sunport’s free cell phone waiting lot, accessible by taking the arrival level to Girard Boulevard, when picking up passengers instead of circling the roadway.
- Please check with your airline directly for updated flight information and confirm your reservations 24 to 48 hours in advance.
For additional information, please visit the Sunport’s Web site at www.cabq.gov/airport
or call (505) 244-7700. For more travel tips and a complete list of items that are prohibited beyond the security checkpoint, please visit the TSA’s Web site at www.tsa.gov.