Support for patients: This can include visiting, reading, taking walks, writing letters, bringing in music, even massage therapy for volunteers with the necessary skills.
Respite and support for family members. Volunteers can assist with shopping or household maintenance, or allow family caregivers the opportunity to take care of necessary errands and get some time away from the house. Family members also appreciate a visit from a compassionate friend who understands what they are going through.
The skills and attributes we seek in a volunteer are:
- Compassionate and caring
- The ability to listen well
- Friendliness and open-mindedness
- Sensitivity to others
- A healthy perspective on grief and loss
- The ability to express yourself well
- Can provide own transportation
- A sense of humor
Volunteer Coordinator-Heartland Hospice